I am passionate about connecting my scholarship and teaching with contemporary issues and events, and I regularly publish writing that is accessible and interesting to non-scholarly audiences.
On Buddhism & Yoga
- 2019, “The Mind Cure?,” Tricycle.
- 2019, “Intersections between Buddhism, Health, and Diversity in an American City” Patheos.
- 2019, “Survey of Buddhist Healing Practices in Philadelphia Publicly Available” BuddhistDoor.
- 2018, “Curing Illness with Meditation in Sixth Century China,” BuddhistDoor.
- 2017, “A Roundup of Critical Perspectives on Meditation,” Patheos.
- 2016, “What is Buddhist Medicine?,” Patheos.
- 2016, “Buddhist Medicine,” article simultaneously published in Penn Museum Blog and Penn Press Log.
- 2016, “Paging Dr. Dharma,” Tricycle.
- 2016, “Buddhism and Health: Illuminating the Spectrum of Therapies,” Patheos.
- 2015, “Is Yoga Cultural Appropriation?,” Asian Medicine Zone.
- 2014, “Translating Meditation in Popular American Media,” Patheos.
- 2014, “Jivaka Across Cultures,” Asian Medicine Zone.
- 2013, “Abstracts of Buddhist Medical Sources in Pāli,” Asian Medicine Zone.
- 2013, “A Beginner’s Guide to the Academic Study of History of Chinese Medicine,” Asian Medicine Zone.
- 2013, “A Beginner’s Guide to the Academic Study of Chinese Buddhist Texts,” Asian Medicine Zone.
On Thai Traditional Medicine
- 2017, “Honoring the Teachers, Constructing the Tradition: The Role of History and Religion in the Waikrū Ceremony of a Thai Traditional Medicine Hospital,” in Hans Pols, Michele Thompson, and John Harley Warner (eds.), Translating the Body: Medical Education in Southeast Asia (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press).
- 2016, Traditional Thai Medicine: Buddhism, Animism, Yoga, Ayurveda, Revised edition (Bangkok: White Lotus Press).
- 2015, “On Thai Massage and Cultural Appropriation” Asian Medicine Zone.
- 2013, “Common Myths Associated with Thai Massage,” in Bob Haddad (ed.), Thai Massage & Thai Healing Arts: Practice, Culture and Spirituality (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press).
- 2007, Thai Massage: Student Workbook (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press) — 2nd ed., 2011.
- 2006, The Spiritual Healing of Traditional Thailand (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press).
- 2004, The Encyclopedia of Thai Massage: A Complete Guide to Traditional Thai Massage Therapy and Acupressure (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press) — Republished in Thailand by Silkworm Press, 2005; Chinese translation by Beijing Sports University, 2008 (under name 皮尔斯．赛尔盖罗); Czech translation by Poznání, 2008; Portuguese translation by Madras Editora (Brazil), 2010; Estonian translation by Kirjastus 2011; 2nd ed., 2011; Spanish translation by Editorial Paidotribo, 2015.
- 2003, Thai Herbal Medicine: Recipes for Health and Harmony (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). — English-Thai edition by Silkworm Press, 2005; 2nd ed., 2014; German translation by Stefan Uhrig & Agnes Fatrai GbR, 2017.