An engaging, accessible introduction to Buddhism for those who are looking to explore a new spiritual tradition or understand the roots of their mindfulness practice.
Are you curious about Buddhism but find yourself met with scholarly texts or high-minded moralizing every time you try to pick up a book about it? Well, if so, relax. This is no ordinary introduction to Buddhism; there are none of the saccharine platitudes and dense pontification that you may have come to expect. Buddhish is a readable introduction for complete newcomers that provides an objective, streamlined overview of the tradition – from unpacking the Four Noble Truths to understanding what “nirvana” actually means. For those who have already dipped their toes into the tradition through the practice of mindfulness or meditation, this guide will help you create a more well-rounded and informed experience by delving into the history of the Buddhist traditions that shape a mindful practice.
Buddhist scholar Dr. Pierce Salguero analyzes the ideas and philosophy of the complex tradition through the eyes of both a critic and an admirer. He shares anecdotes from his time at a Thai monastery, stories from the years he spent living throughout Asia, and other personal experiences that have shaped his study of Buddhism. Through this guide, readers will have the opportunity to develop an approach to practice that is not quite Buddhist but Buddhish.
Podcasts & Talks
- 2022, Imperfect Buddha Podcast
- 2022, Deeper Down the Rabbit Hole Podcast
- 2022, Mindful Cranks Podcast
- 2022, New Books Network Podcast
- 2022, Classical Ideas Podcast
- 2022, The Monk and the Centipede: A harrowing experience sparks a budding scholar’s interest in Buddhist medicine, Tricycle
- 2022, There is much more to mindfulness than the popular media hype, The Conversation
- 2020, Buddhist Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Historical Perspective, BuddhistDoor Global
- 2020, How do Buddhists handle coronavirus? The answer is not just meditation, The Conversation
- 2019, The Mind Cure? Three scholars on the mindfulness movement, Tricycle
- 2018, Curing Illness with Meditation in Sixth Century China, BuddhistDoor Global
- 2017, A Roundup of Critical Perspectives on Meditation, Patheos.com
- 2016, Paging Dr Dharma, Tricycle
- 2015, Is Yoga Cultural Appropriation?, Patheos.com
Publications for Practitioners of Thai Medicine
- 2013, “Common Myths Associated with Thai Massage,” in Bob Haddad (ed.), Thai Massage & Thai Healing Arts: Practice, Culture and Spirituality (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press).
- Blogs: Meta Approaches to Asian Medicine, Buddhism & Asian Medicine