- Forthcoming, Buddhism & Medicine: A Global History (under contract with Columbia University Press).
- 2017, Buddhism & Medicine: An Anthology of Premodern Sources (New York: Columbia University Press).
Collection of 62 chapters by 57 contributors introducing translations of texts about Buddhism and medicine covering much of premodern Asia.
- 2016, Traditional Thai Medicine: Buddhism, Animism, Yoga, Ayurveda, Revised edition (Bangkok: White Lotus Press).
Brief introduction to history and contemporary practice of traditional Thai medicine, with emphasis on cross-cultural influences and medical pluralism. (First edition: Hohm Press, 2007.)
- 2014, Translating Buddhist Medicine in Medieval China (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press).
Significantly revised version of my PhD dissertation, focusing on the translations strategies/tactics utilized in the introduction and assimilation of Indian medicine in medieval China.
Selected scholarly articles & chapters
(To download PDFs, see my Academia.edu page)
- Forthcoming, “‘This Fathom-Long Body’: Bodily Materiality & Ascetic Ideology in Medieval Chinese Buddhist Scriptures” (accepted by Bulletin of the History of Medicine for publication in 2018).
- Forthcoming, “A Missing Link in the History of Chinese Medicine: A Research Note on the Medical Contents in the Chinese Buddhist Taishō Tripiṭaka” (accepted by EASTM for publication in 2018).
- 2017, “Cultural Associations of Water in Early Chinese and Indian Religion and Medicine,” Special Issue: Water and Asia, Education About Asia 22.2: 23–28.
- 2017, “Honoring the Teachers, Constructing the Tradition: The Role of History and Religion in the Waikrū Ceremony of a Thai Traditional Medicine Hospital,” in Hans Pols, Michele Thompson, and John Harley Warner (eds.), Shaping Practitioners and Fashioning Health Citizenship: Medicine and Health in Southeast Asia (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press).
- 2015, “Toward a Global History of Buddhism and Medicine,” Buddhist Studies Review 32.1: 35–61.
- 2015, “Reexamining the Categories and Canons of Chinese Buddhist Healing,” Journal of Chinese Buddhist Studies 28: 35–66.
- 2014, “Buddhism & Medicine in East Asian History,” Religion Compass 8.8: 239–50. [Revised partial version appears in Salguero 2017, Introduction.]
- 2014, “Medicine,” Oxford Bibliographies Online: Buddhism. doi: 10.1093/obo/9780195393521-0140 Last update: 2017.
- 2013, “Fields of Merit, Harvests of Health: Some Notes on the Role of Medical Karma in the Popularization of Buddhism in Early Medieval China,” Asian Philosophy 23.4: 341–9.
- 2013, “‘On Eliminating Disease’: Translations of the Medical Chapter from the Chinese Versions of the Sutra of Golden Light,” eJournal of Indian Medicine 6 (1): 21–43. [Revised version appears in Salguero 2017, ch. 4.]
- 2012, “‘Treating Illness’: Translation of a Chapter from a Medieval Chinese Buddhist Meditation Manual by Zhiyi (538–597),” Asian Medicine: Tradition and Modernity 7.2: 461–73. [Revised version appears in Salguero 2017, ch. 37.]
- 2010–11, “Mixing Metaphors: Translating the Indian Medical Doctrine Tridoṣa in Chinese Buddhist Sources,” Asian Medicine: Tradition and Modernity 6.1: 55–74. [Revised version appears in Salguero 2014, ch. 2.]
- 2010, “‘A Flock of Ghosts Bursting Forth and Scattering’: Healing Narratives in a Sixth-Century Chinese Buddhist Hagiography,” East Asian Science Technology & Medicine 32: 89–120.
- 2009, “The Buddhist Medicine King in Literary Context: Reconsidering an Early Medieval Example of Indian influence on Chinese Medicine and Surgery,” History of Religions 48.3: 183-210.
Selected popular press publications
- 2016, article simultaneously published in Penn Press Log and Penn Museum Blog [Penn Museum; Penn Press]
- 2016, article in Tricycle Magazine [Tricycle; Academia.edu]
- 2013, “Common Myths Associated with Thai Massage,” in Bob Haddad (ed.), Thai Massage & Thai Healing Arts: Practice, Culture and Spirituality (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press).
- 2006, The Spiritual Healing of Traditional Thailand (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press).
- 2004, The Encyclopedia of Thai Massage: A Complete Guide to Traditional Thai Massage Therapy and Acupressure (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). — 2nd ed. co-authored with David Roylance, 2011. Republished in Thailand by Silkworm Press, 2005; Chinese translation by Beijing Sports University, 2008 (published under name 皮尔斯．赛尔盖罗); Czech translation by Poznání 2008; Portuguese translation by Madras Editora (Brazil), 2010; Estonian translation by Kirjastus; Spanish translation by Editorial Paidotribo (Badalona), 2015. Companion Thai Massage Workbook also available from Findhorn.
- 2003, Thai Herbal Medicine: Recipes for Health and Harmony (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). — 2nd ed. coauthored with Nephyr Jacobsen & Tracy Wells, 2014. Republished in Thailand by Silkworm press, 2005.